What is Digital Product Design?
Digital Product Design means different things to different people. For us, the term includes every facet of design as it relates to a digital product or service. So, whether a client is looking to ship a brand new digital product, iterate upon an existing experience, or imagine a new look and feel – it all falls under the umbrella of “digital product design” in our book.
Who Needs This Service?
- Clients who want to explore concepts for a new app, website, or piece of software
- Clients who want to test a prototype with users
- Clients who need to validate a concept with an MVP
- Clients who want to design and launch a new product from scratch
- Clients looking to overhaul the visual design of their product
- Clients looking to enhance specific user experiences within their product
Different projects will have different missions and milestones to accomplish. But we stick to an adaptable, proven process that applies to any kind of design work.
Create user empathy and understand the problem.
- Kickoff: An opening ceremony for the project. We’ll get to know one another and lay out the project’s first steps.
- Foundational Research: We’ll interview users, gather stakeholder feedback and use relevant workshop methodologies to build a strong foundation of understanding.
- Data collection: We collect and organize the information into a digestible format.
- Synthesis & Analysis: The team works internally to interpret the data and create a presentation of the findings.
Explore all possible design directions and investigate potential solutions.
- User Research: If needed, we'll do more user research with an emphasis on generation solutions.
- Wireframing: The team will create wireframes and low fidelity prototypes based on our learnings.
- Design Concepts: We’ll run visual design exercises like moodboarding and stylescaping to lay out the visual direction of the product. Concepts might also include interaction design, information architecture, button language and more.
Narrow all the ideas down to one direction. Validate and refine that direction for final hand-off.
- Usability studies: We’ll watch, listen and take notes as users test out the solution we’ve designed.
- Rapid Prototyping: The team will make refinements as innovation opportunities become clear during testing.
- Execution on single design direction: With the final design validated, we’ll fully specify every aspect of the design and make whatever finishing touches are needed.
Put the finished product in users’ hands and meet business goals.
- Design systems & UI Kits: To set future projects up for success, we’ll create detailed documentation of all design specifications regarding the product.
- High-fidelity prototypes: Fully fleshed out prototypes ready for engineering.
- Research reports: Organizing insights to tell a story that will provide direction for future projects.
- Northstar and strategic vision presentations: Tangible representations that paint an exciting picture for the future of a product.